Thursday, July 14, 2005

Rainy days in Kuala Lumpur

After a relaxing couple days in Melaka we headed for the big city, Kuala Lumpur. Malaysians seem to like abbreviating city names, so the locals call it K.L., which always makes me feel like I'm trying to be cool when I say it. Anyway, I heard it has some of the most amazing architecture in Asia, so I thought we'd check it out. The amazing architecture bit was true, but certainly not in our guesthouse (Wheeler's), or in our neighborhood (Chinatown). Having said that, the "good stuff" was just a short train ride away, and there were plenty of colorful characters in our neighborhood, which kept things interesting.

I desperately wanted to visit the world-famous Petronas Towers, which I only knew about from a Catherine Zeta-Jones movie (not sure which one- Entrapment, maybe?). Unfortunately, Catherine Z-J (see how cool abbreviations can be?!) wasn't there, so we just had to look at the building instead. It's impressive- twin towers (formerly the tallest in the world) with an observation bridge between the buildings on the 41st and 42nd storeys. You can only look at a big giant office building for so long, so we wandered inside and tortured ourselves window shopping in one of the most incredible (read: expensive) malls I've ever been in. Loved the food court though, which was a microcosm of Malaysian food- Indian, Chinese, and Malay, all looking and smelling delicious. I have particularly been enjoying the food in Malaysia, except it's been giving me what some southeast Asians call "loose stomach", if you know what I mean.

It's raining here, and it looks like we're going to cancel our plans to go to the Cameron Highlands and Teman Negara (sorry, Tomas) and get straight to Thailand, which is where we really want to be anyway. So long, KL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home