Saturday, April 09, 2005

An Unexpected Gift

On Friday morning at work our director (a.k.a. Little Hitler) casually informed us that she would be trading places with a director at another school, and would no longer be our boss. We were completely caught off guard, and I just kept saying, "Wow... Wow..." I looked around the room at the other foreign teachers, and saw a common expression- the expression people have when trying to conceal a big, giant SMILE! None of us could believe our good fortune!

Michelle, our former (I can't believe how good that sounds!) director has gradually made our lives hell over the nine months we've been here. As I've tried to figure out what it was about her, I concluded it was a combination of moodiness, inconsistency, favoritism, and rigidity that made her hard to deal with. That's a hard cocktail for anybody to swallow.

But now it's over, and our new director, John, brings a reasonably good reputation with him. He may not be perfect, but we feel that he will definitely be an improvement. A staff dinner was organized on Friday in honor of Michelle, and only one of the five foreign teachers attended. It could be called many things, like just deserts, or poetic justice, but since we're in Korea, I think I'll just call it karma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home