Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Singapore, the next best thing to Utopia

First stop: Singapore. We flew Singapore Airlines because they have such a reputation for good service. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't blown away, either. The flight was non-eventful, which is good when you're talking about flying.

We caught the airport shuttle to our hotel, Le Meridien Changi Village, a modern-looking white hotel with funky neon balconies. After a delicious breakfast buffet with bacon, eggs, and loads of fresh fruit, we hit the rooftop pool. It was one of the most amazing pools I've ever swam in, and we had a beautiful view of the ocean while we swam. My pink shoulders think that I stayed out for a little too long, but I was having such a good time...

Singapore is awesome! At first it seemed a little sleepy, but it is also amazingly beautiful, clean, diverse, and efficient. "Founded" by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles in 1819, (why is it that nothing existed until a European "discovered" it??) Singapore seems hell-bent on becoming a veritable Utopia, and they're doing a pretty good job of it. Besides grand-looking colonial architecture, Singapore has the most incredible modern architecture I've ever seen. The streets are so clean that it feels like you could eat off them, and everything runs with an almost eerie efficiency. The people are pleasant and friendly, and everyone seems to live comfortably. What more could you ask for?

We saw some great things, like a night safari featuring 900 species of nocturnal animals (too bad I can't remember the names of half of them!) and had some delicious Indian and Malay food. OK, I'll stop singing Singapore's praises now. Next stop: Melaka, Malaysia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home