Thursday, October 07, 2004

Beijing- An Introduction

Caroline and I went to Beijing for a few days at the end of September. In Korea it was a holiday known as Chuseok, which is more or less Thansgiving, but with a special emphasis on remembering ancestors. Beijing was such an incredible experience that I'm not sure how I'll be able to capture it in words and still maintain the essence of what I saw, felt, and experienced. Having said that, I still think it's worth a shot, if only for my own personal record. During my visit, many of my stereotypes were dispelled, and I also think that's another good reason for writing.

We had a very busy schedule while we were there. We visited a lot of historical sites, took in some cultural activities, had some incredible dining experiences, and also had a small glimpse into the life of everyday Beijingers. I feel my life was profoundly changed, and my respect for Chinese history and culture has increased monumentally.

For ease of reading, I have decided to break up the trip and blog about each individual site or event on its own. This makes it easier to read, and also makes it easier for me to write about. So the next blogs will be all about the things we saw and did in Beijing. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home