Friday, July 30, 2004

The putrid stench of Korea in summertime

This place stinks. No, I don't mean figuratively, as in "this place sucks" or any other phrase meant to imply that it's no good here. It stinks. So far I haven't been able to identify what exactly that awful smell is, but I do know that it's made worse by a bunch of 30+ degree days lined up end to end, with what appears to be no relief until autumn. The smell seems to be the worst when we pass sewer grates (I know, I know, I'm a genius for figuring that one out), but that's only a small fraction of the problem. That smell is obvious. And so is the rotting food smell wafting from the piles of garbage that grow on random street corners. But there is something else, something that reminds me of a giant old mothball-man, sweating profusely on a scorching hot day, and trying to cover it up with a couple of healthy splashes of fish-and-cabbage cologne. In fact, I think that may be it! Now if I could only find a way to bottle and sell this vile odor. I'm convinced that it could provide a viable alternative to chemical weapons, only without all the deadly side effects. But until then, I think I'll just feel happy that I got this off my chest, and I'll keep looking forward to autumn.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Hey Brian. Great blog so far. You guys are definitely experiencing Korea, smells and all. My theory on the smell (and I do agree with you that the entire country stinks) is a sweet combination of open sewers, rotting toilet paper and bondagi. Yup, those larvae are by far the worst smelling thing I have ever experienced, including sour tofu in Taiwan and rush hour in Cairo (both very close seconds).
And be careful when you look in buckets in the market. You got away easy with the eels.
Take care!
Suzanne

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home